Friday, July 09, 2004

Part 1 - The Yellow Jersey Lost

I just discovered that I’ve been living a lie.

My confusion was well founded. The Bosphorus doesn’t in fact pull a “Panama Canal” and cross East to West by going along a North/South access. In my jet-lagged, disoriented rambling about the city, I’d overlooked one important facet of its geography – the European side is cleaved in two by another great body of water: The Golden Horn. Famous and storied to be sure, but hardly the boundary of two continents.

So without even a word, K’s reclaimed the Yellow Jersey. My trip to Asia will have to wait until Monday and my flight to Denizli.

What’s more, I’ve learned that my dreams of a trans-continental trek will never be realized; both bridges crossing the Bophorus (the older Bosphorus Bridge and the new Fatih Bridge) are closed to foot traffic. Cars aren’t even allowed to stop along the side. Too many jumpers, I’m told. Too many suicides. People have suggested I take a ferry. That it’s a beautiful trip. And I’m sure that it is. But “I just took a boat to Asia” doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Only the linguists among us seemed to understand.

A big day ahead touring Old Istanbul with K’s conference and a local expert. No rest for the wicked…


|


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?