Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The joys of straggling

'Straggle' may sound like a passive sort of word for such an assertive person. But lately it seems to suit my traveling itinerary. Whether it's accompanying family members or visiting K, most of my adventures over the past few years have been initiated by someone else - I just follow on.

And then I wander.

I straggle.

This time, it's Turkey.

K is an Archaeologist/Art Historian (she'd quickly point out that technically she's an "Egyptologist") and for the month of July, she'll be in Turkey thanks to the generosity of the J. Paul Getty Foundation and UCLA. She'll be on a rigorous itinerary investigating the representation of Middle Eastern history and cultures in modern Museums and Texts; this mostly involves all day lectures and seminars in Istanbul... But I'm free to travel. I'm just a hanger-on.

I leave on July 6, 2004.

Thanks to the almost ridiculously complex interconnection of airline frequent-flyer programs, I'll be flying free, courtesy of Continental Airlines miles, on a Northwest Airlines codeshare flight that's operated by KLM.

So my first stop will be Amsterdam. Straggling already.

But I've still got two weeks to go.
|


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?